Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

As a teacher, you will see and sometimes receive thousands of drawings, cards, and letters from your students. Most of the time, the drawings will be sweet and innocent, especially if you're a teacher of the younger kiddies (like me... 3rd grade to be exact).

Anyways!

In our classroom, students are assigned vocabulary homework each week. Last week, one of our words happened to be

nes·tle/ˈnesəl/

Verb:
  1. Settle or lie comfortably within or against something: "the baby deer nestled in her arms"; "she nestled her head against his shoulder".
  2. (of a place) Lie or be situated in a half-hidden or obscured position: "picturesque villages nestle in the wooded hills".
One of our students "Bob" came in with this.

I was going around checking homework and I had to take a picture, just because it is stinking adorable. Drawings like this remind me of how innocent and naive these young minds are. How precious it is that I have the opportunity to fill their heads with knowledge.

However, with all things good you always have the bad and the ugly.

On the same day, my co-teacher and I went to pick up our students from lunch and found out that one of our students drew the following.

Please note the "die sexy lady" and "DIE!" The student also wrote the f word but erased it and replaced it with "yeah you!"

Please ALSO note that I had a long discussion with the Monet of the second masterpiece.

It just got me thinking that even in the world of small people's drawings, you have the good, the bad and the ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment