Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Children's Book Pick for the Month of April


Being a teacher, I read more children's books than adult books (I can't recall the last ADULT book I finished from front to back... but I can name a million children's books that I finished... hahaha). Therefore, I decided that every month, I will do a review/recommend some of my all time favorites! The books that I feature here may be a classic or it may be hot off the press but I hope to feature books that I think should be included in every child's library.This is a book titled,
The Next Place by Warren Hanson. I was first introduced to this book in one of my undergraduate courses. We were talking about books that would help children cope with death and loss of a loved
one. It's really a hidden treasure and explains that once we die, we go on to the next place. In the next place, there is no more hurt or suffering.... we will be in the best condition of our lives. Here is a sneak peek from the story!

The next place that I go
Will be as peaceful and familiar
As a sleepy summer Sunday
And a sweet, untroubled mind.
And yet . . .
It won't be anything like any place I've ever been. . .

Or seen. . . or even dreamed of

In the place I leave behind.
I won't know where I'm going,
And I won't know where I've been
As I tumble through the always
And look back toward the when.
I'll glide beyond the rainbows.
I'll drift above the sky.

It takes a really harmonious approach to the subject of loss and expresses death as something that brings comfort and peace.

P.S. If you appreciate really awesome book illustrations, the pictures in this book are beautiful!

In summary:
April's Recommendation: The Next Place

Author: Warren Hanson

Good for ages: 4-adults (yes, I would even give this as a gift to a friend going through hard times)
Purpose: To bring comfort to children about the subject of death, suffering, and loss.













No comments:

Post a Comment