Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Flying Solo in HoChi

Every Wednesday, I teach an intensive course to my level 1 students. It runs from 3-5pm (or 15-18:00) and it's an extra class after the morning class where the focus is on reading, writing, listening, and speaking.

All of the teachers on this trip have to teach an intensive course once a week on different days. Wednesdays are my days. So, after teaching my intensive course this afternoon, I decided to trek out to the streets of Ho Chi Minh... SOLO.

Now, it probably doesn't seem like a big deal but it was a pretty big deal to me. You see, I haven't really gone anywhere or done anything ALONE since I've gotten here. I didn't have a reason to do anything alone... since I am on this internship with 4 other fabulous teachers ;). 

Anyways, long story short, I had postcards waiting to be mailed out to NYC. 

I grabbed a quick lunch at school and with a map ripped out of my Lonely Planet book in one hand and a bunch of postcards in the other, I started on my journey to the post office, which was only about 5 blocks away (5 longgggg blocks...) haha. 

The walk started off slow... I crossed one street (yes, i am still alive!!!),

Crossed another (i wonder if people are staring because they can tell that I am not from here),

Crossed a huge intersection (i wonder if tourists ever get their foot run over by a motorbike...),

Walked down a huge street with lots of cute little stores & a bakery
(should I treat myself to something? the answer is always a YES! got myself a cheesy baguette),

Walked PAST where the post office should have been (asked a gentleman in a cop like uniform for directions...got redirected to go back half a block). 

Finally made it to the post office (licked about 20 stamps... yuck!) Happily handed the post office lady my cards and started on my long journey back to the school. On the way home, I decided to treat myself to some corn being sold by a lady on her bicycle. 

It was my reward for a SOLO trek well done. 
Cost me 5,000 dongs! 

Which is .25 cents.... haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment